- Sophie &Friends
Instead of dashing across a track field with a baton, players of Air Blowing Relay have to use their lungs to blow wispy objects across the finish line. The standard object is a simple wadded up tissue, but feel free to add variations based your party them or the holiday (like ghosts on Halloween or snowflakes on Christmas).
1. The game leader should begin by dividing the group into teams. You can have as many teams as you have supplies. Generally, relays work best with about 2-4 teams. Make sure each team has an equal number of players.
2. Each team should line up behind the "Air Blowing" space.
3. The team leader should pass out one air blowing device "straw" per team and one object "tissue ball" to be blown for each player on the team. If you want each person on the team to complete the relay more than once, then there should be a bucket near the front of each team line with multiple objects to be blown.
4. At the end of the relay distance, about 10-15 feet, the "finishing" container should sit. This is the bowl, box, cup, etc. that the players are trying to blow the object into.
1. When the team leader says "GO!" the first person of each team begins using their straw to blow the tissue ball across the relay space. This team member tries as fast as possible to use only the air from the straw (NO HANDS OR FINGERS!) to get the tissue ball into the box at the end.
2. If the team member uses anything other than the air, they must return to the beginning of their team's line and start again.
3. Once a team member has successfully blown the tissue ball into the box, they run back to their team and hand off the blowing device to the next person. (If you are using straws, you might want each team member to have their own straw so germies aren't spread!)
4. The team that finishes first, wins the game.
If you don't want this to be competitive, it can become a segment of obstacle course. This way each child completes the task individually.
Here are some more ideas for supplies:
Air creating options: fan, straw, waving a book or paper
Objects to blow: tissue ball, cotton ball, styrofoam ball, fabric softener sheet
Make sure you try your blowing device and object prior to introducing the game. You have to make sure the straw or fan can actually produce enough air to blow the object your have in mind across the relay space.