A simple game of "Hot Potato" becomes extra silly when you add the element of a stinky shoe! Little kids love shouting out "Pee-yew" and pretending to faint!
Number of Players5 to 10, 10 to 20
Team DivisionEvery man for himself (individual players)
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Indoor or OutdoorEither
Space NeededSmall (a clearable open space the size of a 1-car garage), Medium (a clearable open space the size of a 2-car garage), Large (gym, outdoor field, reception hall)
Mess FactorClean and tidy
Prep TimeNo prep time needed!
Game Time Length5 - 15 minutes
1. Set up a music system (you can play a simple instrument or even sing if you like), close to the playing area.
2. Have kids sit in a big circle.
3. Hand one child the "stinky" shoe.
How to Play
1. The leader plays music. While the music is being played, children pass the shoe around the circle as quickly as they can. At any time the leader can stop the music.
2. When the music stops, whoever is holding the shoe must stand up and declare "Pee-yew" and pretend to faint from the smell (or any other smelly reaction - hold their nose, gag, wave their hand in front of their face).
3. Music starts again, and the shoe is passed again.
The shoe could be an onion, a sock, anything that could be considered stinky (even a block of pretend cheese).
If you can tell that you have shy members in your group, then try not to stop the music when they are holding the shoe - leave that for the fun and rambunctious members of your group.