- Sophie &Friends
This is a buddy-oriented relay race that is perfect for all settings, holidays, and themes. You can call it a variety of names to suit each occasion, but I love the fall and Thanksgiving version of "Harvest Relay." Blow up a few fall-colored balloons to represent pumpkins, corn, squash, etc., and have your "farmers" race to place the crops in the harvest baskets!
1. Divide the group into even-numbered teams.
2. Within each team, have the children pair up. These are the farmers.
3. Each pair of farmers should stand behind the other in a relay race line.
4. About 20 feet from the start of the relay lines, place one large basket/bucket where the farmers' teams will collect their crops.
1. On "Go!" the first pair of farmers will pull a carrot, squash, or pumpkin (colored) balloon, harvest it (blow it up and tie it), and bring it to the basket.
2. The trick is how these farmers have to carry their crops!
3. Once the balloon is blown up, the farmers have to place it between their shoulder blades so they are back to back.
4. Keeping the "crop" between them, they need to move as quickly as they can to deposit the crop in the basket.
5. When the balloon has been deposited, they run back to their farm (teammates) so the next pair of farmers can go to work.
6. The farmers to complete the harvest relay first wins!
This game can be renamed for all settings:
Halloween: "Capture the ghosts" (use white balloons)
Pirate: "Steal the jewels" (use jewel-colored balloons)
Farmer or Chicken: "Egg snatch" (use white balloons)
Cowboy: "Round-Up" (use red balloons for bandanas, or cow-print balloons for cows)
Truly any name is applicable... have fun!